A well-equipped diaper bag is essential when leaving home. You should be prepared to face any situation: food needs, accidents in their diaper, changes in weather and unexpected delays.
Car, plane or boat, whatever your destination and method of travel, you should carry a light and complete suitcase.
This isn’t the be-all-end-all list, but here are a few guidelines to keep in mind that is essential to keep close by when traveling with a baby on board.
For Baby Care
- Medication – if you are taking any
- Anti-mosquito lotion
- Diaper rash cream
- Baby sunscreen
- First aid kit
- Two toys, books or their favorite music
- Appropriate clothing, depending on the weather: two or three more changes of clothing, in case of any unforeseen event. For warm weather, preferably cotton and avoid wool. For cold weather, wear stockings, long pants, and a Jacket.
- Wool hats for the cold, hats for the sun.
- Sandals for warm weather. One pair of shoes will be enough.
- Sufficient amounts of formula for the morning and evening bottles.
- Baby bottles
- Water bottles
- Extra diapers (standard or cloth depending on your preference)
- Baby wipes
- Personal hygiene accessories for mommy – moisturizer, shampoo, cologne, toothbrush, comb to brush, toothpaste without fluoride and towel.
In addition, here are a few other items that may come in handy when traveling over longer distances. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t mix the child’s things with those of the rest of the family. A separate suitcase helps to easily find what we need.
- Food and drink: everything you need to prepare your bottle or some puree. You also have to include cookies, bread … things that can entertain you in a moment of crisis.
- Don’t forget to take the baby’s medical documentation in case of an unforeseen occurrence: Social Security card and insurance card, if you have one.
- A small kit for the trip: antipyretics and painkillers, thermometer, plasters, soapy antiseptic …
Traveling with Babies / Toddlers Involves
- Having a little patience. Actually, a lot of patience! (Understand that we have to change. Understand that everything will take more time than you thought. No hurry. What was once done in one day, now is done in two. What was done in two hours, is now four.
- Inevitably, plans will change. Adapt and respect the times and tastes of the little ones, When they are older, there will be time to negotiate, they will understand the reason a bit more, they will be more attached to the destination, they will propose activities, etc..
- Know that they are vacations. Just relax. Do not get mad if things do not go as you thought.
- Learn to enjoy and appreciate even the little things every day. Particularly, if you’re traveling during the holidays, it’s an ideal time to enjoy with activities with the family; the time you may not normally have during the year. So enjoy it, cherish it. Time travels fast and kids grow up incredibly quickly so you should cherish and DOCUMENT the moments that you do have together. Don’t waste energy on relatively meaningless arguments.
And of course, before leaving home, think about what products you can buy at the destination: you do not have to carry everything with you. These are merely guidelines. Safe travels and enjoy the moment!